This in one seriously amazing vegan hot dogs recipe as the name implies. It is loaded with truly great vegan hot dogs, in a delicious vegan garlic butter coated hot dog bun and topped with a super easy fresh tomato salsa. You won’t believe how good this is until you try it.
The vegan hot dogs are made with carrots, lentils and seasoned with nutritional yeast and smoked paprika which does wonders to emulate the texture and taste of real hot dogs. Think deliciously smoky flavors matched with a cheesy accent and a soft meaty texture. Yum!
In this recipe I use red lentils – it doesn’t really matter whether you use red or green lentils. The taste is pretty much the same, the only difference is the color that gets much more sausage like when you use the red lentils. But if you prefer – or it’s the only thing you have in your house, you can always use green lentils instead.
I wanted to create a recipe that everyone would like, so I loaded this recipe with a few of my favorite things. Adding vegan garlic butter, just takes this recipe to a whole nother level of greatness. Think garlic butter spread inside the hot dog buns, slowly melting and flavoring every bite. Then imagine smoky cheesy sausages and fresh sour cream all combined with a delicious tomato salsa coming together to create a seriously mouthwatering dish.
What’s great about this recipe:
- Amazing for BBQ’s, parties and summer dinners
- Loved by kids and adults alike
- Great for meal prep – make the sausages and garlic butter in advance and just let people make their own hot dogs
- Gluten-free (just buy or make gluten-free hot dog buns)
Seriously Amazing Vegan Hot Dogs
Vegan Hot Dog Sausages
- 1 cup Dried Red Lentils
- 3 cups Vegetable Broth
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion Finely diced
- 2 medium Carrots Grated
- 1 tbsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of Pepper
- 1¼ cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil For cooking
Super Easy Vegan Garlic Butter
- ½ cup Vegan Butter
- 2 cloves Garlic Minced
- ½ tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp Nutritional Yeast
Super Easy Tomato Salsa
- 4 large Tomatoes
- ½ Red Onion Finely Chopped
- ½ Lemon – juice from
- Bunch of Cilantro
- Pinch of salt
Making the vegan hot dog sausages
- Cook the lentils in the vegetable stock for 15-20 minutes or until they are tender. Drain and set aside.
- Next, heat up a frying pan with olive oil and cook the onions a few minutes at medium heat while stirring. Stir in t he grated carrots and let them cook for another 3-5 minutes until they are tender.
- Take the carrots of the heat and pour the carrots and onions into a food processor. Add the lentils and spices and blend until everything is chopped finely and combined. Add 3 tablespoons flour and mix together. Keep adding flour a tablespoon at a time, until the mixture forms a thicker dough-like mass.
- Next, divide the carrot lentil mixture into 8 even parts and roll them into sausage shapes. Place on a plate and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a frying pan and cook the hot dogs at medium high heat until they are golden on the outside. Turn regularly, so each side becomes golden.
How to make the Super Easy Vegan Butter
- Mix vegan butter together with all the other ingredients in a bowl and stir until combined. Pour into a sealed container and store in the refrigerator.
How to make the Super Easy Tomato Salsa
- Rinse the tomatoes and dice them. Pour the diced tomatoes into a bowl and mix together with finely diced red onion, lemon juice and salt. Lightly chop the cilantro and mix it in the salsa.
Making the Hot Dogs
- Get your hot dog buns ready and start by slathering a generous amount of vegan garlic butter on it. Next, add the cooked hot dog and scoop a spoonful of tomato salsa on top. Top it off with a drizzle of vegan sour cream or whichever dressing you prefer and serve. Enjoy! Tip: If you're having a party, just make everything ready in advance and let people assemble their own hot dogs.