Creamy, scoopy, and lush Ginger and Sweet Potato soup with luxe coconut milk. Yes, please. Made with silky diced sweet potatoes, garlic, onions, carrots, and spicy ginger. Tender, creamy and delicious vegan sweet potato soup.Jump to Recipe
This vegan Ginger Sweet Potato and Coconut milk soup is exactly the kind of lush, flavorful, and delicious dinner I want. It’s a thick, but not too thick, creamy, velvety vegan soup full of tender almost buttery sweet potatoes with just the right amount of heat throughout.
And it’s super easy to make as it mostly makes itself. Plus, it can be made in an instant pot, or a crockpot, or just on the stove. It doesn’t get much easier than that.
This is a proper silky vegan comfort food soup. It’s cozy, flavorful and as a bonus, it’s a healthy immune system boosting recipe.
Immune system boosting ingredients
Even though this creamy flavorful soup is a cozy warming meal, it’s actually loaded with ingredients that help boost your immune system, such as:
Fresh ginger not only adds a lot of fiery spice to meals, but it also adds anti-inflammatory properties. It’s known for its ability to fight off the flu and keep the immune system strong.
Benefits of turmeric
Turmeric and more importantly its active ingredient curcumin is a powerhouse of antioxidants. It’s scientifically proven to have many health benefits, and has the potential to improve heart health, and could help prevent cancer and Alzheimer’s disease. And with its great anti-inflammatory properties, it’s also a great immune system booster and can help fight against the flu.
Garlic has to be everyone’s favorite healthy ingredient. It’s not just tasty, it’s also a great health booster. It’s a powerful antioxidant and is said to have anti-inflammatory benefits.
Sweet potato benefits
Sweet potatoes are full of nutrients, vitamins, and minerals. They’re a true superfood that has been suggested to help with immune system function, as well as brain health, and supporting healthy vision. And of course, it’s also super tasty.
Spices have always been an integral part of a healthy diet. It boosts the immune system and helps fight off diseases.
The best easy vegan ginger sweet potato instant pot recipe
This easy velvety sweet potato soup is ideal for instant pot cooking. It shaves the cooking time down from 35-40 minutes to 10-15 minutes in total. It does get much quicker or easier than that. And the creamy flavor-packed sweet potato soup will be ready to eat in less time than it takes to get a pizza delivered.
How to cook vegan ginger sweet potato soup in an instant pot
Just add all the ingredients to your instant pot and cook at high for 6 minutes with the quick release on.
Creamy vegan sweet potato and coconut milk crockpot recipe
This easy luxe sweet potato soup is amazingly made in a crockpot. It’s a great slow cooker soup recipe because the flavors just intensify and the sweet potatoes become extra creamy.
How to cook creamy vegan ginger sweet potato coconut milk soup in a crockpot
Add all the ingredients into a crockpot and let it cook for 4-5 hours. Use a handheld blender to blend half of the soup to make it extra creamy. That’s it. Simple, quick and so easy. Serve with a garnish of sweet and sour chili sauce and a sprinkle of basil or cilantro.
Frequently asked questions
Is sweet potato soup freezer friendly?
Yes, absolutely. It’s a great meal prep recipe that can be frozen and reheated later.
What other vegetables can I use in sweet potato ginger soup?
You can add any extra veggies to this soup if you want. Vegetables that work really well in this soup are:
Can I make sweet potato soup without ginger?
Sure. If you don’t want to use ginger you don’t have to. You can just leave out the ginger. If you’re not using ginger I recommend adding juice from 1/2 lemon to balance the flavors and maybe adding an extra clove of garlic.
How to cook sweet potato soup?
Cooking sweet potato soup is incredibly simple. It can be made in 35 minutes in a pot on the stove, or you can make sweet potato soup in an instant pot or crockpot.
*see instructions on cooking in an instant pot and crockpot on the recipe card below
What to serve with sweet potato soup?
I like to serve my ginger sweet potato and coconut milk soup with a garnish of fresh basil or cilantro and a side of baguette or other bread that can be dipped into the sauce and used to scoop up as much flavor as possible.
What spices and herbs to use in sweet potato soup?
You can use all your favorite spices. Fresh basil or fresh cilantro as a garnish adds so much flavor and freshness to the soup.
Using ground cumin and ground coriander brings out the winter flavors and brings the whole soup to another level.
Other spices that you can add if you want are:
More chili – if you like a very hot and spicy soup you can add fresh or dried chili to the soup. There are already chili flakes in this recipe, but for more spice just add more chili.
Can I make sweet potato soup without a blender?
Yes, absolutely. I like to use the blender because it makes the soup more creamy, but you don’t have to blend it at all. If you plan on not blending, I recommend cutting the potatoes and carrots into smaller dice. That way you’re guaranteed to get tender almost melty vegetables in every spoonful. Without a blender, this soup becomes a delicious chunky sweet potato soup.
Another option is to use a potato masher to gently mash the veggies a little before serving. It works in the same way as a blender and makes the soup very creamy.
How can I add plant-based protein to soup?
If you need extra protein in your diet there’s a very simple vegan solution. Just add some of the plant-based proteins to every meal. My favorite plant-based protein sources that work really well in this soup is:
- Beans – any type of beans such as kidney beans, black beans, or butter beans work amazing.
- Lentils – lentils are a great plant-based source of protein. You can use any type of canned lentils, green, red, or even beluga lentils. Just rinse and drain the lentils before adding them to the soup.
- Chickpeas – Chickpeas are a great source of plant-based protein and they also contain lots of healthy nutrients. I like to use canned chickpeas because they are usually softer and creamier than the chickpeas you cook yourself (rinsed and drained before adding to the soup.
Can I make sweet potato soup with canned potatoes?
Yes, absolutely. Canned sweet potatoes work well in this easy soup. Just get canned sweet potatoes without added sugars and add them to the soup at the same time as you add the vegetable stock.
Ginger Sweet Potato Coconut Milk Soup (Vegan)
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 Yellow Onion Diced
- 1½ pounds (700g) Sweet Potatoes Diced
- 2 large Carrots Cut into slices
- ½ cup Tomatoes Chopped
- ½ tsp Dried Chili Flakes
- ½ tsp Ground Cumin
- ½ tsp Ground Coriander
- 1 tsp Ground Turmeric Powder
- 1 tbsp Paprika
- Pinch of Pepper
- 2 -inch Fresh Ginger Finely chopped or grated
- 3 cloves Garlic Minced
- 4 cups Vegetable Stock
- 1 cup Coconut Milk
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add coconut oil and diced onions. Stir together to combine and let them cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Next, add carrots, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, minced garlic, and all the spices and combine. Allow yo cook for 1-2 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Pour in the vegetable stock and coconut milk and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down to a simmer and leave the soup to cook for 30- minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Use a handheld blender (be careful not to get hot soup on yourself) and blend half of the carrots and potatoes to make the soup creamy. If you don’t have a handheld blender, you can simply pour half of the vegetables into a blender or food processor along with a cup of soup. Blend until the soup is creamy and pour the blended soup back into the pot. Mix everything.If you want the soup to be more smooth you can keep blending vegetables until you reach the consistency you prefer. I like my soup with more chunks so I only blend half.
- Serve the soup hot with a drizzle of sweet and sour chili on top and top with a garnish of fresh basil or cilantro.Enjoy.
Cooking vegan ginger coconut milk soup in a crockpot
- Add all the ingredients into a crockpot and let it cook for 4-5 hours. Use a handheld blender to blend half of the soup to make it extra creamy. That's it. Simple, quick and so easy. Serve with a garnish of sweet and sour chili sauce and a sprinkle of basil or cilantro.Enjoy.
Cooking in an Instant pot
- Just add all the ingredients to the instant pot and cook at high for 6 minutes with the quick release on. Use a handheld blender to blend half of the vegetables to make them super extra thick and creamy. Serve with a garnish of fresh basil and a side of bread and enjoy.
Are you looking for more delicious soup recipes? Try my: