This Grilled Eggplants with Tomato salsa is one of those meals that is so simple to make, that it almost feels like cheating. Nothing in it is difficult, and there are no special ingredients – except maybe for the gyros seasoning.
Sometimes, I like to just cut back on all the millions of ingredients some recipes require and just get back to simple cooking. I like to think of it as clean eating. There’s no unnecessary ingredients, it’s just quick, easy and very very tasty. It really is a delicious 5 ingredient meal (not counting the spices, of course).
I have a bit of a love affair with aubergines. I think it all started on my first trip to Italy. It’s something I could easily eat every day and never grow tired of (if I could get away with adding them to every meal, I probably would).
And just when I thought I couldn’t love aubergines any more than I already do, Ea created this easy masterpiece with grilled aubergines. These aubergines get so soft and creamy on the inside and get wonderfully crispy and spicy on the outside.
They can be used for anything – I also love using them in burgers and sandwiches…basically I will work grilled aubergines into a meal anyway I can.
The gyros spice is a greek twist that’s a spicy match made in heaven with the gentle softness of aubergines. Ig you can’t fint a gyros spice, you can season with a bit of chili powder, a little curry spice and a double helping of paprika – it’s not quite the same, but it comes pretty close.
The easy tomato salsa is so simple and quick to make. It’s a salsa that compliments any meal. This tomato salsa is very fresh and works so well along with the aubergines. I prefer to use sunripened tomatoes, because they have a sweeter and richer taste.
Fresh basil leaves adds freshness and brings out the sweetness in the toamtoes. The tomato salsa can be made a few hours in advance and kept cold in the refrigerator until it’s time to serve it.
What’s great about this meal:
- Super easy to make
- Only 5 ingredients
- Quick to cook and tastes heavenly
- Very healthy and full of nutrients
- 1 Eggplants Thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp Gyros Spice
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp Parmesan Cheese Grated
- Thinly slice the aubergines and brush both sides of the slices with olive oil. Put the aubergines on a grill (or double indoor grill) and season with salt and a generous amount of gyros spice. Grill the aubergines on both sides until they are golden on the outside and soft on the inside. When the aubergines are nearly done, sprinkle a generous amount of grated parmegan cheese on top. Let it cook for 1-2 more minutes.Take the aubergines off the grill and serve immediately.
Easy Tomato Salsa
- 2 Medium Sized Tomatoes
- 1 Handful Fresh Basil
- Pinch of Salt
- ½ Spring Onion
- Rinse the tomatoes and chop them roughly. Finely chop the spring onion and add them to the tomatoes. Chop a handful of fresh basil leaves and stir them together with the toamtoe mix. Season with salt and serve. Tip:Can be made a few hours in advance and kept cool in the refrigerator until served.
Quick and Simple Vegan Dressing
- 2 Coconut Yoghurt (or sour cream if you’re not vegan)
- 1½ Spring Onions Finely Chopped
- Pinch of Salt
- Chop the spring onions finely and put all the ingredients in a small bowl. Mix everything together and add a little extra salt if needed. Keep cool until serving.