This amazing gluten-free pizza recipe is named The Best Portobello pizza recipe ever for good reason. Think meaty, flavourful portobello mushrooms topped with cheese (regular or non dairy), tomatoes and pizza seasonings…they are mouthwatering, healthy and will leave you wanting more. In this gluten-free recipe, the Portobello mushrooms make the pizza crust and becomes the ideal delicious vessel to carry all the pizza toppings.
In addition, you can easily add your favourite pizza topping to this pizza recipe and make it your own … or serve it just like this and enjoy a delicious and healthy take on pizza margarita.
Firstly, let’s talk about why you need to be making these portobello mushroom pizzas. To begin with, this portobello pizza recipe is melt in your mouth delicious, cheesy and sinfully irresistible. And, moreover, it’s actually fairly healthy (and even keto diet friendly), because it’s made with mushrooms and topped with the cheese of your choice.
Finally, you need to make these portobello pizzas because they are irresistibly tasty and way better than takeout. And it’s one of those recipes that everyone will love… which also means you might just need to plan ahead and make extra servings.
Are you ready for all the deliciousness? Then let’s dive into how to make these portabella mushroom pizzas.
What’s great about the best portobello pizza recipe:
- Just about everything
- It’s easy to make – like, really easy. Kids can help make these pizzas
- Quick and simple to cook – the oven does most of the work for you
- Healthy and loaded with nutrients
- Vegan option
- A favourite with everyone
- Keto friendly
- Mouthwateringly tasty
- Ready to eat in under 30 minutes
Vegetarian Keto Portobello Pizza recipe
Although these tasty pizzas taste sinfully good, they are actually healthy and Keto diet friendly. Because there’s no bread to be found anywhere in this recipe, it’s safe for most diets … and that includes gluten-free, low-carb and Keto…plus, mediterranean diet.
Vegan portobello mushroom pizzas
To make these portobello mushroom pizzas vegan, I recommend sprinkling the mushrooms with 1 tbsp nutritional yeast (about 1 teaspoon on each mushroom) to get the full hit of cheesy flavours. Firstly, for the vegan cheese, I recommend using your favourite non-dairy cheeses as toppings. This could be vegan mozzarella cheese, vegan cashew cheese and most importantly, vegan gorgonzola cheese.
Secondly, for the vegan garlic cream cheese, I recommend you use your personal favourite. Personally, I like to use vegan garlic cashew cream cheese, but you can use any non-dairy cream cheese you prefer.
More great pizza toppings
This recipe is for my mouthwatering basic portobello pizza recipe. There’s no extras and no gimmicks. It’s just the simple and completely delicious portobello pizza margarita recipe. But that does’t mean you can’t add more flavours and toppings. It’s a basic recipe that can be served just as is (because it’s already delicious), or you can also add your favourite pizza toppings, like sliced olives and more.
So, let’s look at more great pizza topping ideas:
- Olive slices
- Zucchini slices
- Eggplant slices
- Fresh Arugula
How are these delicious vegetarian portabella pizzas made? It’s very easy. Just:
- Firstly, preheat the oven to 350F and grease or line a baking pan with baking paper.
- Secondly, place the portobello mushrooms bottom side up and spread the garlic cream cheese over the rinsed portobello mushrooms. Next, spread tomato paste on top and add shredded mozzarella cheese. (If making the vegan version, sprinkle nutritional yeast on top at this stage)
- Thirdly, place the tomato slices on top and season with salt and oregano. crumble gorgonzola cheese (or vegan gorgonzola cheese) on top.
- Finally, bake the portobello mushrooms in the middle of the oven for 20 minutes or until the mushrooms are cooked though and the cheese have melted and started to turn golden. Serve and enjoy.
The Best Portobello Pizza recipe ever (gluten-free)
- 4 Portobello Mushrooms Rinsed
- 4 tbsp Garlic Cream Cheese Vegan or regular
- 4 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 4-6 Cherry Tomatoes Cut into slices
- ¼ cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese non-dairy for vegan version
- ¼ cup Gorgonzola Cheese non-dairy gorgonzola or similar for vegan version
- 1 tbsp Dried Oregano
- ¾ tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Nutritional Yeast optional, for vegan version
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease or line a baking pan with baking paper.
- Place the portobello mushrooms bottom side up and spread the garlic cream cheese over the rinsed portobello mushrooms. Next, spread tomato paste on top and add shredded mozzarella cheese. (If making the vegan version, sprinkle nutritional yeast on top at this stage)
- Next, place the tomato slices on top and season with salt and oregano. crumble gorgonzola cheese (or vegan gorgonzola cheese) on top.
- Bake the portobello mushrooms in the middle of the oven for 20 minutes or until the mushrooms are cooked though and the cheese have melted and started to turn golden.Serve and enjoy.
Are you looking for more delicious easy vegan and vegetarian pizza recipes? Try my amazing BBQ chickpea pizza recipe or my delicious fan favourite eggplant pizza recipe here