Are you ready for a crunchy, spicy, sweet-and-sour salad? Then you’re going to love this easy vegan Spicy Asian Cabbage Salad.
This is really the best all year round salad. It’s so simple to make and uses ingredients that are readily available at all times. It’s heavily inspired by Asian flavors, with ginger, chili and soy sauce coming together wth maple syrup to make a delicious dressing that ties everything together.
You will find a million uses for this super easy Spicy Asian Cabbage Salad. This recipe is crunchy, tangy, colorful and loaded with mouthwatering flavors. It’s super healthy and super easy to make – and it’s just so good! Eat it as a delicious side dish, add it to a Buddha Bowl or eat it for lunch. The possibilities are endless and all delicious.
Cabbage is often overlooked (unless you’re making a coleslaw). For some reason, we seem to have collectively accepted that cabbage is only good for coleslaw…but I’m here to change that – or at least try to.
This Spicy Asian Cabbage Salad is packed full of delicious flavors and goodness. Cabbage, lime, red peppers, soy sauce, garlic and cilantro all brought together by an amazing sweet and spicy dressing and topped with sesame seeds. Yummy!
Just half a cup of cabbage contains 50 percent of your daily dose of Vitamin C…and it’s also loaded with cancer-fighting and cholesterol-reducing compounds. Add in the garlic, Ginger, lime and red peppers and you get a big health boost in this one.
The story of this recipe:
I first made this salad when I had last minute guests drop in for dinner, and no time to go shopping. After a quick look in the refrigerator and some slightly panicked thinking, I came up with this gem of a salad. I served it on the side with my kidney bean skewers, and it was an instant hit.
So, it’s no wonder that this has since become one of my go-to salads for parties, because it’s so easy to make in advance and serve cold. Just sprinkle on cilantro and sesame seeds right before serving and that’s it. Couldn’t be simpler.
What’s in this bad boy salad:
- Crunchy cabbage
- Red bell peppers
- Sesame Oil
- Rice vinegar
- Schallots or spring onions
- Smoked paprika
- Red pepper flakes
- Maple syrup
- Sesame seeds
So how is this Vegan Spicy Asian Cabbage Salad made? It couldn’t be simpler:
Chop all your veggies.
Heat a large wok or skillet. Add 3 tablespoons olive oil and the sliced carrots. Let the carrots cook for 3-5 minutes before adding all the rest of the veggies plus schallots. Let it cook for a few minutes.
Add the sesame oil, smoked paprika, soy sauce, rice vinegar and garlic and stir together.
Next, mix together all the ingredients for the sauce and pour it over the vegetables.
Stir together and let it cook for a few more minutes.
Add the cilantro and sesame seeds and serve.
Spicy Asian Cabbage Salad
- 4 cups Cabbage Thinly sliced
- ½ cup Red Cabbage Thinly sliced
- 5 medium Carrots Sliced
- 1 cup Red Bell Pepper Sliced
- 2 Shallots or 2 spring onions Chopped
- 1 clove Garlic Minced
- 1 tbsp Sesame Oil
- 1 tbsp Rice Vinegar
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 bunch Fresh Cilantro or Fresh Basil Chopped
- 2 tsp Soy Sauce Reduced Sodium
- ½ tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp Fresh Ginger Minced
- ½ tsp Chinese Five Spice Powder
- 1 tbsp Chili Sauce
- ¼ cup Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp Rice Vinegar
- ½ tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- Juice from ½ Lime
- 2 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 3 tbsp Sesame Seeds
- Heat a large wok or skillet. Add 3 tablespoons olive oil and the sliced carrots. Let the carrots cook for 3-5 minutes before adding all the rest of the veggies plus shallots. Let it cook for a few minutes.
- Add the sesame oil, smoked paprika, soy sauce, rice vinegar and garlic and stir together.
- Next, mix together all the ingredients for the sauce and pour it over the vegetables.
- Stir together and let it cook for a few more minutes. Add the cilantro and sesame seeds and serve.