Vegan date paste is one of my favorite natural sweeteners. It’s name really doesn’t do it justice. The word paste does nothing to convey how amazing this recipe actually is.
Vegan date paste is my go-to sweetener. I put it in almost everything – from cakes, to yoghurts, to sauces – because I love the deep and dark sweetness it brings to a recipe. And it’s my favorite vegan sugar alternative to honey.
Anyone who knows me knows I am a big fan (some might say addict) of sugar. I will admit to having a big thing for it – I like the way sweetness enhances a dish and makes all the other ingredients shine. It gives depth and adds layers and interest. I don’t know if you’ve ever tried making a sauce and tasted the difference before and after a little sweetnes was added. It makes a huge difference.
That being said, I also prefer my sweetness to be as natural as possible. If I can get it in a healthy version, that’s definitely something I want.
And that’s where this vegan date paste comes in handy. It’s so rich and full of natural sweetness…and it couldn’t be any more simple to make.
What’s great about this vegan date paste
- It’s super quick to make – no need to soak the dates overnight – just pop them in hot water and be done in minutes. Couldn’t be easier
- Not only is this amazing recipe easy, it’s also vegan, gluten free, soy free and kinda healthy
- Adds a deeper sweetness to any dish – it’s almost like dark sugar
So how is this date paste made
It couldn’t be easier. Just:
Pour the dates into a bowl and cover with very hot water. Let it sit for 1-2 minutes. Pour the dates plus the liquid into a blender and blitz until it’s smooth and combined.
Store in a closed container in the refrigerator.
How to use it
Try using it in my Granola breakfast bowl or use it as a substitute for the sugar in any cake recipe. I like to use it as a substitute for any recipes requiring honey or syrup. To me, this might just be the holy grail of natural vegan sweeteners.
Vegan Date Paste
- 1 cup Pitted Dates
- ½ cup Very Hot Water
- Pour the dates into a bowl and cover with very hot water. Let it sit for 1-2 minutes. Pour the dates plus the liquid into a blender and blitz until it's smooth and combined.
- Store in a closed container in the refrigerator.