Meet my newest comfort food love: my easy vegan Irish Butternut Squash Beer Stew. This super tasty, rich stew can be made in an instant pot, crockpot, or on the stove making it a true superhero recipe. This is a warm, rustic, and cozy country stew that’s made for slowing down and filling up comfort food.Jump to Recipe
This easy vegan butternut squash beer stew features luxe flavors, melt-in-your-mouth tender butternut squash, silky kale, peppers, and almost creamy protein-rich chickpeas. And adding to the magic is a deep hint of beer turning the sauce into a sweet and savory masterpiece poured over a mini mountain of fluffy steamy rice.
Whether you’re in a hurry or have all the time in the world this is the stew for you.
Ingredients in vegan Irish Guinness squash stew
We are working with simple ingredients that pack a lot of flavors. Think deep rich brown sauce that’s so good you can almost hear the angels singing. It doesn’t taste like beer. The sauce just takes on a deep luscious savory tone that’s so good you need to try it. Also, all alcohol is cooked out so it’s also a kid-friendly recipe.
- Garlic and onions
- Butternut squash – you could also use other types of squash or pumpkin
- Chickpeas – adds meaty textures and plant-based protein
- Guinness beer and broth – I use vegetable broth and vegan Guinness
- Paprika, thyme, and bay leaves
Instant pot butternut squash beer stew
If you want a healthy flavor-packed mouthwatering stew that’s ready to serve in less than 10 minutes from start to finish then let me introduce you to my easy vegan instant pot recipe. Cooking this hearty stew in an instant pot is about to make your dinner 10x easier and just as tasty. And if you’ve never tried using an instant pot before don’t worry. This is the ideal beginner recipe. Just dump all the ingredients into your instant pot, cook for 5 minutes and you’ve just made a cozy stew everyone will adore.
How to make instant pot butternut squash beer stew step-by-step
Place all the ingredients in an instant pot. Cook on high pressure for 5 minutes. Release the pressure and stir to mix everything well. Taste to see if more salt or other seasoning is needed.
Leave to rest for 2 minutes to let the sauce thicken slightly.
Serve with a side of steaming rice and enjoy.
How to make vegan squash stew in a crockpot
- Add all the ingredients (except for half of the kale) to the crockpot. Place the lid on, and set the timer to cook on low for 7-8 hours. Let the steam release naturally. Add the rest of the kale and give everything a good stir. Let the soup sit for a few minutes to allow the kale to soften.
- Serve with a side of rice and enjoy.
How to thicken the sauce
This sauce is deliciously rich and dark. It’s not too thick, but depending on your preference (if you like a thicker sauce that clings to each bite) you can easily thicken the sauce. To thicken the sauce, whisk together 2 tablespoons cornstarch with 2-3 tablespoons water. This will give you a thick whitish sauce. Whisk this white cornstarch sauce a little at a time into your stew until the stew reaches the thickness you like.
Meal prep-friendly butternut squash stew
What makes a delicious rich stew even better? When it’s also meal prep friendly. And that’s exactly what this vegan Irish Guinnes stew is. You can make it in advance, freeze it for months, and reheat it when needed. It doesn’t get much or tastier than that.
Frequently asked questions
No. As the alcohol is cooked out of the beer the beer transforms the sauce into a luxe savory dark sauce that’s irresistibly delicious. It doesn’t taste like beer. Guinness is much darker than other types of beers giving the sauce a deep flavor and darkness.
Yes. Originally Guinness was not vegan, but nowadays Guinness has changed their ingredients and is vegan. Yay.
Yes. You can easily freeze this stew for later.
If you wanted to. The beer helps to give depth of flavor and color to the sauce, but it can be left out if you prefer. You will need to replace the beer with another type of liquid. This could be coconut milk (it won’t give the same taste and color, but it will be delicious).
Vegan Irish Squash Beer Stew
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 cup Butternut Squash Diced
- 1 cup Kale
- 1 15oz can Chickpeas Rinsed and drained
- 2 Bay leaves
- 3 sprigs Thyme
- 1 tbsp Smoked Paprika
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 2 White Onions Diced
- 3 cloves Garlic Finely chopped
- 3 cups Vegetable Stock
- 4 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 bottle (440ml) Guinnes Beer
Cooking on the stove
- Heat olive oil in a deep pan or pot. Transfer the diced butternut squash and onions to the pan and let them cook at medium heat for 5-8 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- let them cook at medium heat for 5-8 minutes while stirring occasionally. Next, season with paprika, thyme, salt, and pepper. Mix everything before adding the finely chopped garlic. Let the garlic cook for just a minute before adding the vegetable stock, tomato paste, and beer to the pan. Bring to a boil while stirring occasionally.
- Once the sauce is bubbling, turn the heat down to a simmer and let everything cook for 10-15 more minutes or until the butternut squash is soft and tender to the bite.
- Once the dish is nearly ready, add the kale and mix everything. Let the stew simmer for a few more minutes to soften the kale and serve with a side of steaming rice.Enjoy.
Cooking in an instant pot
- Place all the ingredients in an instant pot. Cook on high pressure for 5 minutes. Release the pressure and stir to mix everything well. Taste to see if more salt or other seasoning is needed. Leave to rest for 2 minutes to let the sauce thicken slightly.Serve with a side of steaming rice and enjoy.
Cooking in a crockpot
- Add all the ingredients (except for half of the kale) to the crockpot. Place the lid on, and set the timer to cook on low for 7-8 hours. Let the steam release naturally. Add the rest of the kale and give everything a good stir. Let the soup sit for a few minutes to allow the kale to soften.Serve with a side of rice and enjoy.