So what makes a great lunch? To me it has to be really tasty, easy to make and most of the time it also has to be easy to bring with me wherever I go. This vegan pita sandwich is all that and more.
There’s nothing I don’t love about this recipe. The creamy and smooth texture from the almond butter and the avocados that’s the ideal backdrop to the mushrooms and bell peppers.
It just ticks all the boxes for me.
And on top of that, it’s also super healthy and filling – especially if you choose whole wheat pita bread.
I often think that pita bread must be the ideal lunch companion – it’s so easy to deal with and you don’t have to worry about how to roll it up or things falling out. On a busy day, this is my go to recipe.
The mushrooms and bell peppers can be mad in advance – I tend to make it the night before, while I’m making dinner anyway. That way I just have to assemble the pita quickly in the morning. It barely takes 5 minutes and I’m ready to go.
What’s great about this recipe:
- It marries together all the textures – creamy avocado, crunchy cabbage, delicious roasted bell peppers and mushrooms
- Very healthy – packed with vitamins and minerals
- Easy to take with you to go
- Can be made in advance
- And oh so tasty
I love this vegan pita sandwich so much that I would be happy to eat it almost every day – and I probably would if there wasn’t so many other great recipes that I just have to try.
If you don’t have pita bread in the house, then you can always substitute it with tortillas or even sandwich bread. I sometimes love to use my thyme pancakes instead of a pita bread – it adds an extra dimension of deliciousness for those days I crave a little extra pampering.
Easy Pita sandwich
- 1 Pita Bread
- 1 Avocado Sliced
- 1 handful Red Cabbage Sliced
- 5 Mushrooms Sliced
- 1 tsp Sesame Seeds
- ½ Red Bell Pepper Sliced
- 1 handful Cilantro Chopped
- 1 tbsp Almond Butter
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1 pinch Dried Chili Flakes
- Start by heating a frying pan and cook the sliced red bell peppers along with the mushrooms at high heat. Cook for a few minutes until the mushrooms are golden. Pour the salt, chili flakes and sesame seeds into the pan and stir everything together. Set aside.Next, heat the pita in a toaster or a microwave. Cut off one side of the pita. Open the pita bread and spread the almond butter inside it. Fill the pita with avocado slices, cilantro, red cabbage and the mushroom and bell pepper mix. Eat right away, or take it with you to go.