This healthy vegan creamy tomato soup is so delicious and easy to make. It’s completely dairy-free, gluten free and soy free and gets all its creaminess from the butter beans.
With the autumn season upon us, I’m already feeling the need for warming comfort foods. And nothing says cooler weather and autumn like a creamy soup.
This vegan tomato soup is a favorite for the whole family. It’s loaded with veggies and unlike a traditional creamy tomato soup, this recipe gets all its depth and creaminess from the butter beans. If you still feel like you need extra creamines, you can always add a little cashew milk or almond milk – but for me this soup recipe has just the creaminess I’m looking for.
I want my tomato soup to be packed full of vegetables and not just tomatoes. It needs to be super healthy and loaded with vitamins and minerals – and that’s exactly what this recipe is. All the different veggies that go into this soup really ramps up the vitamins.
For me, soup has to be creamy, but I also like it to be low calorie. Soup tends to be my go-to meal when I need to feel healthy. It’s also my go-to if I have been a little to indulgent that day and need a calorie readjustment. Plus, I like the way soup just makes me feel healthy and vibrant.
What’s great about this recipe
- It’s so creamy and delicious
- Vegan, gluten free, soy free and super healthy
- Low calorie – 1 serving is under 200 kcal
- Very quick to make
- Packed with veggies and full of vitamins, minerals and protein
- Ideal for meal prep
- One pot cooking – which means way less cleaning up
If I’m feeling extra lazy, I’m not always in the mood to chop veggies – and that’s where a little trip to the supermarket helps. You can usually find frozen bags of pre-chopped veggies that will work just fine for this recipe. Just grab whatever looks like it contains most of the veggies needed.
What do you serve tomato soup with?
I pretty much like vegan tomato soup with everything! Everyone seems to have their own favorite, whether it be grilled cheese sandwiches, or my personal favorite, Garlic Bread. You can eat it with anything you want, or even use it as a first course.
This recipe is super quick to make, but you can make it even faster by cutting your veggies in advance. Anytime I have leftover veggies, I like to chop them and freeze them for later. That comes in handy when making this recipe. Whenever I need it, I can usually find the veggies already chopped and ready to go in my freezer.
If I don’t already have the veggies chopped, I like to chop them all in a food processor – it barely takes 1 minute and can bring the cooking time down to about 20 minutes.
It’s also possible to make the soup in advance and freeze it for later. It can easily be reheated in a microwave – just stir together before serving and voilá.
Creamy Tomato Soup
- 1 cup Carrots Chopped
- 1 Onion Chopped
- 1 Red Onion Chopped
- 1 Red Bell Pepper Chopped
- 1 Green Bell Pepper Chopped
- 3 Garlic Cloves Minced
- 28 oz can Crushed Tomatoes
- 4 cups Vegetable Broth
- 1 cup Butter Beans
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of Pepper
- ½ tbsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 bunch Fresh Basil Chopped
- ½ Lemon – juice from
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Start by chopping all the veggies (if you want you can throw them in a food processor).
- Next, heat up a large pot with olive oil and sauté the chopped carrots, onions, red onions and the garlic for a few minutes. Season with salt, smoked paprika and ground pepper. Add the rest of the chopped veggies and let them cook for a few minutes before adding the crushed tomatoes and lemon juice.
- Pour in the veggie broth, butter beans and chopped basil and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down to medium and let the soup cook for another 10 minutes.
- Finally, grab a hand blender and blend the soup until it's smooth (be careful not to splatter hot soup on yourself). Serve with a little drizzle of olive oil and a few basil leaves on top.