This super easy, super tasty Cowboy Caviar with black beans salad is loaded with flavors, juicy apples, spicy peppers, fresh herbs, and a mouthwatering simple dressing. It’s a bright, zippy, and completely delicious satisfying salad.Jump to Recipe
This isn’t the classic Cowboy caviar recipe…it’s my super easy Cowboy Caviar Black Bean salad loaded with juicy apples, peppers, sweet sun-dried tomatoes, and fragrant herbs, all bathed in my one-minute delicious dressing. It’s tasty, make in minutes salad that can be served as a side dish or salsa dip.
Did I mention how amazing this black beans salad is? Because this black beans apple salad is my current salad obsession. Features Mexican-inspired flavors, juicy apples, spicy peppers, and a vinaigrette packed with bold Texas flavors. It’s full of plant-based protein, loaded with vitamins and minerals, and it’s mouthwateringly good. I would happily eat it for every meal, every single day (and I kinda do).
The best juicy Texas caviar recipe
My take on the Texas caviar recipe is a colorful, eye-catching, juicy chopped salsa salad featuring some of my favorite ingredients like:
- tender-to-the-bite black beans
- sweet sun-dried tomatoes that taste just like summer
- juicy crispy apples
- spicy crunchy peppers
- and a Texas vinaigrette dressing you’re going to want to put on every salad you make this year.
Easy is what we’re working with today
Canned black beans are here to save the day and make this nutritious Mexican-style chopped salad a breeze to prepare. Just dice and slice a few apples and bell peppers, and toss the salad with the ready in 2-minutes easy dressing and you’re ready to serve this bowl of crunchy, juicy, and delicious chopped salad.
Because, sometimes you just don’t have time to chop a million different vegetables to make a salad. You just want to get to the good stuff, like chomping down on juicy crispy apples and tender black beans all bathed in a fresh lime basil vinaigrette. And that’s why this salad is my favorite. It requires a minimum of effort for a maximum flavor and texture reward.
Quick lazy vinaigrette option
Of course, I have to give you the option to cut down on prep time even more by simply using a store-bought dressing of your choice. If you feel low on time and overwhelmed by the idea of making your own vinaigrette in 2-minutes, then don’t worry. We’ve all been there and I’m here to tell you that grabbing your favorite grocery store dressing or vinaigrette is allowed and even encouraged during those times.
Let’s look at what you need to make this mouthwatering Texas lime basil dressing
Hint: it’s not a lot. This super tasty Texas Lime vinaigrette is a breeze to make and only require a few easy to get ingredients. I recommend always having this easy vegan dressing ready made in your fridge. Why? Because it goes well with any salad. And moreover, it keeps up to 7 days in the refrigerator. In conclusion, you just need to make this dressing. Now, let’s take a look at how this easy Vegan Vinaigrette is made:
Ingredients to make Texas lime basil vinaigrette
- A bunch (1/2 cup packed) of fresh basil
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2-3 tbsp cold water (if needed)
How to make Texas lime basil dressing
- First step: Add all the dressing ingredients to a blender or food processor, and pulse until everything is combined. Only add the water if your dressing is too thick to your liking.
- Second step: Taste. Does it need more salt? Oil? Sweet chili sauce? Add whatever your tastebuds tell you it needs, and tweak it to your satisfaction.
Now, just store in a clean sealed jar or container in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
How to make the best easy Cowboy Caviar salad
Firstly, making Cowboy Caviar is incredibly quick and easy. Just chop the fruit and vegetables, and add everything to a salad bowl. Secondly, drizzle generously with Texas Lime Basil vinaigrette. Thirdly, toss the salad. That’s it. There’s nothing more to it.
Now, you’re ready to dig into a summery, delicious, and nutritious salad that can work as a healthy lunch / main meal / and side dish for dinner.
What ingredients can I add to Cowboy Caviar?
You can use anything you like. There are no rules here, so feel free to use your favorite vegetables. Because this salad is all about flavors and textures. However, here’s a list of my favorite veggies.
Some ingredients that work really well in Cowboy Caviar are:
- Sweet corn – think sweet, juicy, and delicious flavors
- Avocado – gives any salad a creamy, cooling, and so tasty
- Red onions – a great way to add extra spiciness and flavor
- White beans – think tender to the bite delicious creamy textures
- Red kidney beans – similarly to white beans kidney beans adds tender textures and plant based protein
- Cucumber – gives the salad a fresh, crunchy, and delicious twist
- And Fresh tomatoes – similarly to cucumbers, tomatoes adds a juicy sweetness and summer flavors
Canned black beans versus home-cooked black beans
Either option will work. I’m a lazy cook, and I want my black beans to be cooked to tender perfection, so I always use canned black beans. But you can just as easily cook your own black beans and use them in this salad.
Frequently Asked Questions
Cowboy caviar was invented by Helen Corbitt and was originally called Texas caviar. It can be served as a tasty salad or salsa dip, or even topped on bread
– black beans
– Red onions
– Bell peppers
Cowboy Caviar can be served as a salsa dip or a chopped salad side dish. It also makes a great healthy lunch option or filling in a sandwich or wrap.
Yes. Traditional Cowboy caviar is great to make ahead because it’s made with hardy ingredients that keep well as long as it’s refrigerated. For my Cowboy Black bean apples salad I would make the salad ahead, but wait to add the apples until right before serving to keep them fresh and crispy.
Cowboy Caviar contains around 95 calories per serving.
The best easy Cowboy Caviar Black Bean salad
- 1 15oz can Black Beans rinsed and drained
- 4-5 Oil packed Sun-dried Tomato halves chopped
- 2 Apples Seeds removed, diced
- 1-2 Red Bell Peppers diced
- 1 bunch Fresh Parsley or Cilantro chopped (around ½ cup packed)
Texas Lime Basil Dressing
- 1 bunch Basil chopped (around ½ cup packed)
- ½ cup Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Sweet Chili Sauce
- 1 Lime – Juice from
- ½ tsp Sea salt or Kosher Salt
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder or 2 cloves fresh minced garlic
- 2-3 tbsp Cold Water if needed
How to make Texas lime basil dressing
- Put all the dressing ingredients into a blender or food processor and pulse until everything is combined. Only add the water if your dressing is too thick to your liking.
- Store in a clean sealed jar or container in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
- Place all the chopped salad ingredients in a bowl and drizzle with the lime dressing. Toss to combine and garnish with fresh cilantro or parsley.Serve and enjoy.
In need of ideas for what to serve with this mouth-watering black bean salad? You can’t go wrong with these:
- Crispy Crusted Rice Patties
- The best vegan gluten-free seitan brisket recipe
- Vegan Loaded sheet pan nachos
- Sesame Crusted Tofu
- Delicious Pea Nuggets
- Vegan “Chicken” Nuggets