This salad is like a cozy, tender, and absolutely delicious bowl of Swedish summer. Featuring tender fresh potatoes, crunchy peppers, fragrant olives, and a simple make-in-a-minute vinaigrette. This authentic vegan potato salad can be eaten both warm and cold.Jump to Recipe
If you’re looking for a simple Easy Authentic Swedish Vegan Potato Salad recipe then you’ve come to the right place. Because this traditional Swedish potato salad is a staple side dish at every Swedish summer party and gets together…as well as being served at nearly every weeknight dinner.
It doesn’t get much more Swedish than a simple vinaigrette potato salad made with fresh potatoes, speckled with crunchy juicy red peppers, flavor-packed olives, zesty capers, and fragrant fresh basil or dill.
Traditional vegan Scandinavian potato salad
If you want to be completely traditional when making this Swedish potato salad you will want to use dill rather than basil…it’s the authentic fresh herb that was used before fresh basil became a thing in Scandinavian cuisine (thank you Italy).
Anyway, in the new Scandinavian cooking basil is the herb of choice. And rightly so. If you ask me, basil makes every meal better. The sweet fragrant basil just works with everything.
10-minutes vegan potato salad
This is a top-notch super quick and easy vegan potato salad. If there’s one thing that can make a hot summer day better it’s a delicious potato salad. And to make it even better, this salad comes together in less than 10 minutes…at least if you have pre-cooked your potatoes.
How to cook the perfect tender potatoes in no time using a microwave if you’re in a time crunch
Okay, so you’re low on time and you haven’t quite gotten around to cooking your potatoes yet. That’s okay. I’ve got a quick make-potatoes-in-a-microwave hack that will save your potato salad in 5 minutes.
All you need is a microwave and a microwave-safe plate, plus tinfoil.
How to cook small potatoes in a microwave
Step 1: Grab a microwave-safe plate and place your clean potatoes on the plate. Drizzle a little water or olive oil on top of the potatoes.
Step 2: Cover the plate with potatoes with tinfoil and bake/cook the potatoes in the microwave for 3-5 minutes. Check how tender the potatoes are with a knife after 3 minutes, and let them cook longer if needed.
Step 3: Once the potatoes are cooked tender, carefully remove them from the oven. Let the cooked potatoes cool a little before you cut them and prepare the potato salad.
The Best Super Easy Vegan Potato salad vinaigrette dressing
You won’t believe just how easy and quick this vegan vinaigrette is to make. It’s a simple two-step process.
But first, let’s take a look at the simple ingredients that make this tasty vegan dressing:
- olive oil
- apple cider vinegar
- salt, more to taste if needed
- Pinch of freshly ground pepper
That’s it. It’s a no-fuss dressing that’s loaded with flavor.
How to make the best vegan potato salad dressing:
Just add all the dressing ingredients to a clean sealed jar or shaker and shake to combine. That’s it. You’re easy vegan vinaigrette is ready to make all your summer salads come to life.
You can store this easy vinaigrette for 7 days in the fridge.
Now, let’s take a look at what ingredients you need to make vegan Swedish potato salad
- small new potatoes, cooked
- red bell peppers, diced
- green beans, cooked
- spring onions
- olives, sliced
- fresh basil or dill
How to make super easy Swedish potato salad
- Step 1: Cut the cooked potatoes into halves (or smaller dices if you prefer) and place them in a salad bowl. Cut the cooked green beans into halves and add them to the potatoes.
- Step 2: Next, top with diced bell peppers, spring onions, olives, and capers. Drizzle with the salad dressing and gently toss to combine everything. Taste test and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Step 3: Finally, garnish with chopped basil and serve.
Frequently asked questions
Yes. Potato salad can be made several hours in advance or even the day before. Just store in the fridge until it’s time to serve.
Yes, this easy vegan potato salad is completely gluten-free.
Traditionally small fresh potatoes are used in Swedish and German potato salad because of the tender texture and delicious sweetness.
There’s approximately 250 calories per serving in Swedish Potato Salad.
Easy Authentic Swedish Vegan Potato Salad
- 2¾ cups (500g) Fresh New Potatoes cooked
- 2 Red Bell Peppers Diced
- 2 cups (250g) Green Beans cooked lightly
- 2 Spring Onions sliced
- ¼ cups (60g) Olives sliced
- 3-4 tbsp Capers chopped
- ¼ cups (½dl) Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- ⅓ tsp Sea salt or Kosher Salt
- Pinch of Pepper
- ½ bunch Fresh Basil or Dill ¼ cup packed
- Add the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, salt, and pepper to a jar or shaker and shake to combine.
- Cut the cooked potatoes into halves (or smaller dices if you prefer) and place them in a salad bowl. Cut the cooked green beans into halves and add them to the potatoes.
- Next, top with diced bell peppers, spring onions, olives, and capers. Drizzle with the salad dressing and gently toss to combine everything. Taste test and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Finally, garnish with chopped basil and serve.Enjoy.
Looking for some delicious recipes to serve with this tasty potato salad? You might like some of these fan favourites: