This easy vegan salsa pasta with tender roasted zucchini is seriously delicious and completely vegan. Amazing ready in under 25-minutes, chewy pasta, blistered juicy tomatoes, and a creamy spicy vegan salsa sauce, all topped with fresh basil. Yum.
This easy vegan salsa pasta with roasted zucchini and tomatoes is incredibly simple to make and so so tasty. Think spicy, juicy salsa pasta sauce clinging to tender chewy pasta. It’s creamy, savory, rich, and doesn’t require a lot of complicated ingredients.
Top 8 great things about this easy vegan shortcut salsa pasta with roasted zucchini and tomatoes recipe
- Easy to make
- Super simple ingredients
- Ready in under 25 minutes
- Delicious chewy pasta and spicy creamy sauce
- Meal prep friendly – can be made in advance and reheated in the oven
- A family favorite pasta recipe
- Can be gluten-free
Shortcut salsa pasta recipe
I call this my shortcut salsa pasta because I usually make it when I have leftover homemade salsa dip. But you can also use store-bought salsa dip for a super easy quick cooking hack. Either way, it’s going to taste amazing.
It makes it a quick, ready in fifteen minutes salsa pasta.
How to make easy 5-minutes homemade vegan salsa dip in a blender
You don’t need a lot of ingredients for this easy salsa dip. All you need is:
Prep 5 minutes
Makes 4 cups
- 2 14oz cans diced tomatoes
- 1 medium red onion, cut into quarters
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 bunch fresh basil or cilantro
- 1 fresh jalapeño, seeds removed and roughly chopped
- Juice from 1/2 lemon or lime
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp sea salt to taste
Put all the ingredients into a blender and blend until everything is finely chopped.
You may need to scrape down the mixture a few times to make sure everything is blended.
Scrape everything into a clean container and store in the refrigerator.
Frequently asked questions
Can I use ready-made salsa dip from the grocery store as pasta sauce?
Yes! Any type of salsa sauce or dip will work in this recipe. Just choose the level of spice that best suits you. For me, I always choose mild spicy salsa, but you can use whichever you prefer.
Do I have to use golden zucchini?
No, any type of zucchini will work. I make this pasta with regular zucchini whenever I don’t have golden zucchini in my home. Both work equally well.
Can I add other vegetables to pasta?
Absolutely. You can add as many vegetables as you like. Just roast them in the oven with the tomatoes and zucchini.
Is it okay to substitute the zucchini with other vegetables?
Of course. You can use almost any type of vegetable that can be roasted in the oven. Other great vegetables you can use in pasta is:
- Any type of squash
What kind of pasta is best?
There’s no right or wrong pasta to use in this easy salsa pasta recipe. You can use pasta screws, rigatoni, penne, and even linguine. Anything goes.
How to make pasta gluten-free?
You can buy gluten-free pasta made from lentils, beans, and even rice pasta. There’s plenty of delicious gluten-free pasta options at the grocery store.
How can I add plant-based protein to pasta?
You can add extra protein in several ways. One easy way is to substitute regular pasta with lentil pasta which is full of plant-based protein. Another option is to add chickpeas or black beans to the dish. They go deliciously with the savory salsa sauce and add extra vitamins.
Easy Vegan Shortcut Salsa Pasta with Roasted Zucchini and Tomatoes
- 1 pound Pasta of your choice Screws, Penne, or rigatoni
- 2 cups Cherry Tomatoes
- 2 Golden Zucchinis Cut into slices
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Oregano
- 1 tbsp Dried Basil
- 1 tsp Sea salt
- 2 cups Salsa Sauce Homemade or store-bought
Homemade 5-minute Salsa Sauce
- 2 14oz cans Diced Tomatoes
- 3 cloves Garlic Finely chopped
- 1 medium Red Onion Cut into quarters
- 1 bunch Fresh Cilantro or Fresh Basil
- 1 Fresh Jalapeño Seeds removed, cut into chunks
- Juice from ½ Lemon or lime
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Sea salt
- Preheat oven to 450F on grill setting.
- Add the tomatoes and sliced zucchini to a baking tray lined with baking paper and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt, oregano, and basil and cook in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until the tomatoes are lightly charred.
- While the vegetables are roasting in the oven, cook the pasta as instructed on the package.
- Next, make the salsa pasta sauce while the pasta is boiling. Put all the salsa sauce ingredients into a blender and blend until everything is finely chopped. You may need to scrape down the mixture a few times to make sure everything is blended together.
- Once the pasta has cooked, drain away the water and add the pasta to a large bowl. Pour 2 cups of the salsa sauce over the pasta and toss to coat the pasta in the sauce. Add the roasted zucchini and tomatoes to the pasta and top with fresh chopped basil. Serve and enjoy.
Are you looking for more easy quick vegan dinner recipes? You might like these: