Are you ready for a truly tasty, full of flavor, easy-to-make spicy bean salad? I hope you said yes because this easy Mediterranean bean salad is all that and more. This mouthwatering salad is not just vegan and gluten-free it also doubles as a Vegetarian Keto salad recipe. It’s a different kind of chopped salad featuring beans, peppers, sun-dried tomatoes, and olives.Jump to Recipe
There are so many great textures and flavors going on in this Mediterranean Spicy Bean salad. The buttery beans tangled up with the spicy peppers and tangy olives all drizzled with my favorite easy sweet chili sauce dressing works on all levels and for all meals.
This salad works as a healthy lunch or a side dish for dinner. I would happily eat it every day if I could. It’s packed with healthy vegetables, amazing flavors, and lots of immune-system-boosting ingredients. And it’s incredibly easy to make.
You may have noticed that I’ve been talking more about keto recipes lately. That’s because a few readers have written and asked me about creating vegan and vegetarian Keto-friendly recipes, and I found the thought intriguing. It took a little research to figure out what is Keto-friendly ingredients and what aren’t. And I’m happy to report that this easy Mediterranean Bean Salad fits the Mediterranean diet recipe and can double as a Keto salad as well as a low-calorie recipe, a high-protein salad, plus a clean eating recipe.
It’s pretty much a go-ahead-and-eat for most diets recipe including:
- Mediterranean diet recipe
- Weight watchers salad recipe
- Low-carb bean salad recipe
- Keto protein salad
- Clean eating side dish
- Low-calorie meal
Okay, for the moment you have all been waiting for, let’s dive into the ingredients you need to make this easy plant-based protein salad:
- 1 15oz can kidney beans, drained
- A 15oz can cannellini or butter beans, drained
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
- 5-8 green olives, cut into slices
- 6-8 oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh basil, chopped
For the easy tasty dressing you only need these few ingredients for maximum flavors:
- 2 tbsp sweet chili sauce
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- A tsp dried thyme
- 1/1 tsp salt
Let’s get to the fun stuff. How this easy spicy bean salad is made:
Making the easy dressing:
In a small mixing bowl mix together the ingredients for the dressing.
To make the salad:
Add the drained beans, peppers, olives, and sun-dried tomatoes to a salad bowl. Drizzle the dressing on top and toss the salad to coat everything. Taste test and add more salt if needed.
Garnish with fresh basil right before serving and enjoy.
This incredibly easy-to-make bean dish works both as a healthy lunch as well as being great as a side dish for almost any main meal. The peppery flavors go well with almost everything, but here are some of my favorite serving combinations.
Try serving this salad with:
For beans and more beans try my kidney bean skewers recipe
Meal prep friendly salad recipe
It’s not often salad can be meal prep friendly, but this one is. You can easily make this Mediterranean dish in advance, even the day before, and wait until serving to add the garnish of fresh basil.
Common questions about Mediterranean Spicy Bean Salad
Can I use other types of beans?
Yes, absolutely. You can use any type of beans you prefer in this salad.
Other Beans that work well in bean salads are:
- White beans
- Butter beans, or cannellini beans
- Kidney beans or red beans
- Black beans
Is this salad meal prep friendly?
Yes, it is. You can make everything in advance. Just store it in a clean airtight container and wait until the last minute to add the fresh herbs for garnish.
Can I eat bean salad on the Mediterranean diet?
Yes, or at least you can eat this easy and healthy Mediterranean diet bean salad
Does this recipe work on the Keto Diet?
Yes. Although you have to limit the number of beans and olives you eat on the Keto diet, this salad is ideal for one meal of the day while you are on the Keto diet
Mediterranean Spicy Bean Salad
- 1 15oz can Kidney Beans Drained
- 1 15oz can Cannellini Beans or Butter Beans Drained
- 1 Red Bell Pepper Finely Chopped
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper Finely Chopped
- 5-8 Olives Pits removed and sliced
- 6-8 Oil packed Sundried Tomato halves Chopped
- 1 bunch Fresh Basil Chopped
- 2 tbsp Sweet Chili Sauce
- 1 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Thyme Fresh or dried as you prefer
- ½ tsp Sea salt or Kosher Salt
- In a small mixing bowl mix together the ingredients for the dressing.
- Add the drained beans, peppers, olives, and sun-dried tomatoes to a salad bowl. Drizzle the dressing on top and toss the salad to coat everything. Taste test and add more salt if needed. Garnish with fresh basil right before serving and enjoy.