Introducing the Ultimate Plant-Based Burger Adventure: A Taste of Versatility and Delight
Best Plant Based Burger in Air Fryer – Get ready to embark on a culinary escapade that’s about to redefine your perception of vegan burgers. In a world where plant-based eating is taking center stage, we’re diving deep into the irresistible realm of plant-based burger patties. These little wonders are far more than just a trend – they’re a culinary movement that’s changing the way we savor comfort food. This delicious vegan burger patties recipe are the perfect way to make meat eaters love vegan meals. We’re talking real burger textures, delicious golden brown patties, amazing plant-based foods flavors that taste just like the real thing – all you need is your favorite burger toppings and a side of french fries or potato salad. Yum!
Best Plant based Air fryer burgers
Plant-based burger patties have skyrocketed in popularity, and it’s not hard to see why. These delectable creations offer a versatile playground for flavors and ingredients that cater to everyone, from die-hard vegans to curious foodies seeking a fresh twist on classic favorites. Whether you’re motivated by health, sustainability, or the sheer joy of good food, plant-based burger patties are the canvas upon which a world of delicious possibilities unfolds.
And what better way to showcase their magic than with the air fryer? Yes, that’s right – we’re about to reveal the secrets of crafting the most delightful plant-based burger in the enchanting realm of the air fryer. Imagine perfectly juicy, tender patties that achieve a delightful crispiness without the fuss of deep frying. It’s a match made in culinary heaven.
Air fryer veggie burgers
Join us as we delve into the art of crafting an exquisite plant-based burger in the air fryer. This recipe combines the best of both worlds – the goodness of plant-based ingredients and the efficiency of air frying technology. Plus a similar texture and look of traditional beef burgers. With every bite, you’re not just savoring a delicious meal; you’re embracing a lifestyle that celebrates flavor, health, and a planet-friendly approach to eating.
Get ready to unleash your inner food artist as we guide you through the process of creating a plant-based burger that’s as exciting to make as it is to devour. And they’re just as tasty as traditional burgers. From plant-based meat patty perfection to the symphony of toppings, this recipe offers a delightful journey into the heart of plant-based culinary excellence.
So, grab your apron, your appetite, and your sense of culinary curiosity. Together, let’s dive into the world of plant-based burgers, sizzle them to perfection in the air fryer, and savor the symphony of flavors that awaits. Get ready to fall in love with plant-based eating all over again, one crispy and satisfying bite at a time.
In this plant based burger in air fryer recipe we’re covering
- Equipment needed to make the best plant based burger patty recipe
- Plant based burger ingredients
- Low calorie plant based burger patties recipe
- How to grill, saute or bake plant based burger in air fryer guide
- Tips and tricks for making the best plant based burger patties
- Delicious vegan burger in air fryer variations and add-ins
- What to eat with plant based burgers
- How to store and reheat plant based burger patties
- Beetroot vs beet
- Black beans vs kidney beans
- How to prep, clean, cut and boil beetroots
What makes these amazing vegan beetroot burgers so tasty:
- Loaded with delicious spices and flavours
- Amazing, meat-like texture
- Easy to make
- Freezer friendly and therefore meal prep friendly
- Plant based and healthy
- Low calorie vegan burger patties
- Gluten-free option
- Great to serve at parties and barbecues
- A crowdpleaser recipe
- Bright and colourful
- Full of healthy nutrients
What we’re working with today to make the best veggie burger patties
Equipment needed to make the best plant based burger patty recipe
Equipment You’ll Need for Making the Best Plant-Based Burger in Air Fryer
Before we dive into the flavorful world of plant-based burger patties, let’s make sure you have all the tools to craft these culinary masterpieces. Here’s what you’ll need:
1. Large Pot: For boiling the beet chunks until tender.
2. Knife and Cutting Board: To peel and cut the beetroots into chunks.
3. Food Processor: To blend and combine the ingredients into a harmonious mixture.
4. Pan: To sauté the diced onions and spices for the aromatic symphony.
5. Baking Sheet: To shape and bake the patties in the oven.
6. Parchment Paper: To line the baking sheet and prevent sticking.
7. Air Fryer: For the ultimate air-fried perfection of your burger patties.
Now that you’ve got your culinary orchestra in place, it’s time to let the cooking symphony begin!
Feel free to explore the various cooking methods mentioned in the recipe for different textures and flavors. From frying and sautéing to grilling and air frying, you have a variety of options to tailor the preparation process to your taste and cooking preferences. And if you’re all set to dive in, let’s create these irresistible plant-based burger patties that are about to elevate your culinary experience to new heights.
Plant based burger ingredients
Elevate Your Culinary Adventure with Plant-Based Burgers in Air Fryer
Get ready to embark on a taste bud tantalizing journey with the most irresistible plant-based burger in air fryer recipe. Each ingredient has a vital role in creating the symphony of flavors that will leave you craving more. Let’s take a closer look at how each component comes together to craft a burger that’s not only delicious but also a wholesome plant-based delight.
Beetroots (2 cups): These vibrant chunks of beets bring a natural sweetness and earthy depth to the patties, delivering a delightful burst of color and nutrition. You can get fresh beets at your local grocery store or supermarket, or get them at your local farmers market. If beetroot isn’t in season, you can use frozen beetroot (you can usually get pre-cut and cleaned frozen beetroots in the freezer isle. Just defrost and cook as instructed on the recipe card)
Black Beans (1 can): Rinsed and drained black beans add a hearty protein punch to our patties, ensuring they’re as satisfying as they are flavorful. Alternatively, you can substitute the black beans with white beans, red beans, or kidney beans if you prefer.
Yellow Onion (1 cup): Diced onions infuse a mellow yet aromatic base, enhancing the overall savory profile of the patties. Alternatively, you can substitute the yellow onion with white onion, brown onion, leeks or even onion powder.
Garlic (3 cloves): Minced garlic is the secret ingredient that elevates the flavor complexity and adds that unmistakable depth to every bite. Alternatively, you can substitute the garlic with 1-2 teaspoons garlic powder.
Tamari or Soy Sauce (2 tbsp): A dash of tamari or soy sauce contributes a rich umami note that amplifies the taste and creates a well-rounded profile.
Essential ingredients that binds the patties together
Ground Flaxseed (2 tbsp): These little powerhouses act as binding agents, holding the patties together while adding a boost of fiber and omega-3 fatty acids.
Rolled Oats (2 cups): Gluten-free rolled oats, if needed, contribute texture and substance, giving the patties their perfect bite.
Spices and seasoning
Smoked Paprika (2 tsp): Smoked paprika infuses a smoky, slightly spicy undertone that brings a delightful twist to the traditional burger experience.
Ground Cumin (1 tsp): Ground cumin adds warmth and earthiness, perfectly complementing the vibrant flavors of the other ingredients.
Dried Thyme (2 tsp): Dried thyme lends an herbaceous note that harmonizes with the other flavors and contributes to the aromatic symphony.
Dried Chili Flakes (Pinch, optional): For those who seek an extra kick, these flakes bring a hint of heat and excitement to the party.
Olive Oil (2 tbsp): A touch of olive oil plays a crucial role in sautéing onions and creating a beautifully golden exterior when baked or air-fried.
Salt and Pepper (Pinch): These humble seasonings enhance all the flavors, bringing out the best in each ingredient and ensuring a well-balanced taste.
From the artful preparation of boiling beets to the enchanting finale of serving these patties in a burger or as a standalone star, every step is a journey into culinary excellence. And let’s not forget the versatility – switch up the cooking methods to fry, sauté, grill, bake, or air-fry these patties, showcasing their adaptability and your creative flair.
Embrace the notes of innovation and savor every bite as you experience the magic of crafting your own plant-based burger masterpiece. Whether you’re a seasoned plant-based enthusiast or curious to explore a new world of flavors, this recipe is your ticket to a culinary adventure that’s as delicious as it is rewarding.
Best Plant-Based Burger Recipe: Your Guide to Flavorful Variations
Get ready to embark on a culinary adventure that celebrates both taste and versatility! These plant-based beetroot patties are here to redefine the burger game with their rich flavors and vibrant colors. Whether you’re a devoted plant-based eater or just curious about exploring new tastes, these patties are about to become your new favorite go-to.
Best Plant Based Burger in air fryer Ingredients:
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 cups Beetroots, Peeled and cut into chunks (about 300g)
- 1 can Black Beans, Rinsed and drained (15 oz / 425g)
- 1 cup Yellow Onion, Diced
- 3 cloves Garlic, Minced
- 2 tbsp Tamari or Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp Ground Flaxseed
- 2 cups Rolled Oats, Gluten-free if needed
- 2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 2 tsp Dried Thyme
- Pinch of dried Chili flakes, optional
- Pinch of Salt and Pepper
How to make plant based burgers:
1. Boiled beetroot recipes – Boil and Bliss: Start by boiling the peeled beet chunks until they’re tender, approximately 15 minutes. You’ll know they’re ready when a knife slips in smoothly. Once cooked, drain and let them cool.
2. Oven Magic: While the beets cool, preheat your oven to a toasty 400°F (200°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, getting ready for the baking brilliance ahead.
3. Sauté Symphony: In a pan, sizzle the olive oil and add the diced onions. Sprinkle in a melody of salt, pepper, thyme, paprika, and cumin. Craving more heat? Toss in chili flakes. Sauté this aromatic symphony for 2 minutes, then introduce the flaxseeds. Combine and remove from heat, transferring this flavorful chorus to your food processor.
4. Blend and Bond: In the food processor, let the show go on! Combine the cooled beets, minced garlic, rolled oats, and tamari sauce. Blend until you’re met with a harmonious blend, pausing to scrape the sides as needed.
5. Patty Perfect: With your vibrant mixture ready, it’s time to shape the spotlight-worthy patties. Place them on your prepared baking sheet and give them a gentle press to shape them into culinary masterpieces.
6. Oven Ovation: Slide your baking sheet into the preheated oven and let the juicy patties bake for 20 minutes until golden brown. Give them a standing ovation, then flip them over for an encore, baking for an additional 10 minutes.
7. Serving Symphony: As the aroma fills the air, it’s time for the grand finale! Serve these delectable patties in a burger adorned with your favorite toppings or let them shine on their own with a side of salad or your chosen side dish.
Different ways to cook the best plant based burger patties: Frying, sautéing, grilling, air frying, and baking:
But that’s not all! These beetroot patties are a versatile cast, ready to shine in various culinary acts. Here’s how to switch up the scene:
How to fry Plant based burger – Fry Delight:
Baking in an Air Fryer:
1. Preheat the Air Fryer: Start by preheating your air fryer to 375°F (190°C) for a few minutes.
2. Place the Patties: Arrange the vegan burger patties in a single layer in the air fryer basket. You can lightly brush or spray them with a small amount of oil for a crispy exterior, but this step is optional.
3. Cooking Time: Cook the patties in the air fryer for about 8-10 minutes, flipping them halfway through. Check for your desired level of crispiness and doneness. Cooking times may vary depending on the thickness of the patties.
4. Serve: Once they’re cooked to your liking, remove the patties from the air fryer, and let them rest for a minute before serving.
How to air fry plant based burger patties – Air Fryer Aria:
Frying in a Pan:
1. Heat the Pan: Place a non-stick skillet or frying pan on the stove over medium heat. Add a small amount of cooking oil and let it heat up.
2. Add the Patties: Carefully place the vegan burger patties into the hot pan, ensuring they are not overcrowded. Leave some space between them.
3. Cooking Time: Cook the patties for approximately 3-4 minutes on each side. Flip them gently using a spatula when they’re browned and slightly crispy.
4. Serve: Once both sides are nicely browned and the patties are heated through, remove them from the pan and place them on a paper towel to absorb any excess oil. Serve immediately.
– Sauté Plant based burger patties Symphony Redux: Sauté the patties on a pan for a few minutes on each side until they’re cooked through and golden brown on the outside.
– Oven baking plant based burgers Encore: To bake these patties in the oven, follow the original instructions.
– How to grill plant based burgers – Grill Serenade:
Preheat the Grill: Preheat your grill to medium-high heat. Ensure the grill grates are clean and lightly oiled to prevent sticking.
2. Place the Patties: Carefully place the vegan burger patties on the grill grates. Close the grill lid.
3. Cooking Time: Grill the patties for approximately 4-5 minutes on each side. You can grill longer for a smokier flavor or less for a softer texture.
4. Serve: Once the grill marks are prominent, and the patties are heated through, remove them from the grill and serve immediately.
Enjoy your delicious vegan burger patties prepared in your preferred method, and feel free to add your favorite toppings and condiments for a perfect burger experience!
Plant Based Burger recipe Notes:
– If you’re using canned beets, skip step one and dive straight into the sauté step.
– Looking to prepare ahead? These patties embrace the freezer, ready to be your meal-prep heroes.
From the oven’s warm embrace to the sizzle of the stovetop, these beetroot patties adapt beautifully to different cooking methods, ensuring you have the perfect bite every time. As you explore each variation, you’re crafting a symphony of tastes that resonate with your culinary desires. Whichever culinary act you choose, these beetroot patties are your ticket to a memorable and delicious plant-based experience. Your taste buds are in for a treat!
Tips and tricks for making the best plant based burger patties
Mastering the Art of Crafting Irresistible Plant-Based Burger Patties: Expert Tips and Tricks
When it comes to creating the best plant-based burger patties, a dash of know-how can elevate your culinary journey from good to absolutely outstanding. Discover the secrets to achieving that perfect balance of flavors, textures, and satisfaction with these expert tips and tricks. Get ready to unleash your inner culinary artist and create patties that are sure to impress, whether you’re a plant-based enthusiast or a curious foodie.
1. Quality Ingredients are Key: Start with fresh, high-quality ingredients to ensure the best possible flavor and texture. Opt for vibrant beetroots, premium beans, and aromatic herbs and spices.
2. Embrace Flavor Layers: Build layers of flavor by infusing your patties with a mix of spices and seasonings. Smoked paprika, ground cumin, and dried thyme can lend an exciting depth that makes every bite memorable.
3. Optimal Texture with Rolled Oats: Rolled oats work wonders in providing that desired texture to your patties. They absorb moisture, creating a balanced consistency that holds together beautifully.
4. Master the Mixing: Blend your ingredients just enough to combine, but avoid overmixing. This maintains the patties’ texture and prevents them from becoming overly dense.
5. The Binding Secret: Ground flaxseed acts as a superb binding agent, helping your patties hold their shape. Mix it with water to create a gel-like mixture before adding it to the mix.
6. Spice Up with Tamari or Soy Sauce: Tamari or soy sauce isn’t just for seasoning; it adds umami depth that enhances the overall flavor profile of your patties.
7. Sautéing for Flavor Enhancement: Sautéing diced onions with a medley of spices in olive oil creates a flavor-packed foundation for your patties, elevating their taste to new heights.
More great tips and tricks for making the best plant based burgers
8. Perfect Beet Preparation: Boil your peeled beet chunks until they’re tender but not mushy. This ensures a sweet and earthy flavor while maintaining the patty’s structure.
9. Experiment with Cooking Methods: Try different cooking methods, like air frying, baking, sautéing, or grilling, to discover your favorite way to enjoy these patties. Each method offers a unique texture and flavor profile.
10. Serve with a Creative Flair: Elevate the overall experience by serving your plant-based burger patties with a variety of toppings, sauces, and buns. Let your creativity shine!
11. Freezing for Future Delights: Prepare extra patties and freeze them individually for convenient, ready-to-cook meals whenever you’re craving a plant-based delight.
12. Adapt and Personalize: Don’t hesitate to adapt the recipe to your taste preferences. Add extra spices, experiment with different veggies, or even incorporate grains for an extra twist.
Mastering the art of crafting sensational plant-based burger patties involves a balance of creativity, technique, and a pinch of culinary intuition. By implementing these tips and tricks, you’re not just creating a meal – you’re sculpting a culinary masterpiece that reflects your unique taste and flair.
Whether you’re an experienced plant-based cook or a newcomer to this flavorful world, these insights will empower you to create patties that tantalize the taste buds, impress your guests, and showcase the remarkable diversity of plant-based cuisine.
Delicious vegan burger in air fryer variations and add-ins
Let’s take your plant-based burger adventure in the air fryer to the next level with some delightful variations and add-ins that will add a whole new dimension of flavor and texture to your patties:
1. Mediterranean Magic:
Add chopped Kalamata olives, sun-dried tomatoes, and crumbled vegan feta cheese to the mixture. Top your burger with a dollop of hummus, fresh cucumber slices, and a sprinkle of chopped fresh mint. Get ready for a delicious burger night the whole family will love.
2. Spicy Southwest:
Mix in finely diced jalapeños, blackened corn kernels, and a handful of chopped cilantro. Top with avocado slices, salsa, and a drizzle of dairy-free chipotle aioli. For extra deliciousness, add a vegan cheese slice to the top of the patties.
3. BBQ Bliss:
Stir in your favorite barbecue sauce to the patty mixture and consider adding some minced red onion. Top with vegan coleslaw and serve with a side of baked sweet potato fries.
4. Mushroom Melody:
Saute finely chopped mushrooms with garlic until golden and mix them into the patty mixture. Top with caramelized onions, sautéed mushrooms, and a smear of vegan truffle aioli.
5. Greek-Inspired Goodness:
Mix in chopped spinach, vegan feta cheese, and a dash of lemon zest. Top with sliced red onion, cucumber, and a drizzle of dairy-free tzatziki sauce.
6. Asian Fusion:
Add minced ginger and garlic, along with chopped water chestnuts and scallions to the mixture. Top with pickled daikon and carrot slaw, and a drizzle of sesame-ginger dressing. This juicy burger is a great alternative to regular hamburger meals.
7. Nutty Delight:
Mix in chopped walnuts or pecans for a satisfying crunch. Top with lettuce, tomato, and a generous smear of almond or cashew butter. For extra deliciousness, add a vegan cheese slice to the top of the burgers.
8. Smoky Chipotle:
Incorporate chipotle chili powder and adobo sauce into the patty mixture for a smoky, spicy kick. Top with vegan cheddar cheese, avocado, and a dollop of vegan sour cream. Spice up your plant-based meals with this smoky chipotle burger.
9. Fresh Herb Infusion:
Add a variety of fresh herbs like basil, parsley, and dill to the patty mixture for a burst of freshness. Top with mixed greens, cucumber slices, and a drizzle of lemon-tahini dressing.
10. Nutritional Boost:
Stir in some finely ground flaxseeds, chia seeds, or hemp seeds for an extra dose of nutrition and a subtle nutty flavor.
Remember, these variations and add-ins are just a starting point – feel free to get creative and experiment with your favorite flavors and ingredients. Whether you’re in the mood for a global-inspired fusion or a classic comfort food twist, the air fryer is your culinary playground for crafting plant-based burger patties that are uniquely yours.
What to eat with plant based burgers
Absolutely, here are some mouthwatering burger options and toppings to pair with your delectable plant-based burger patties:
1. Classic Veggie Burger:
Top your plant-based patty with lettuce, tomato, onion, and pickles. Add ketchup, mustard, and vegan mayo for that classic taste.
2. Guacamole Fiesta:
Spread a generous layer of guacamole on your patty, then add sliced red onion, tomato, and a sprinkle of chopped cilantro.
3. Mediterranean Marvel:
Layer on hummus, sliced cucumber, red onion, Kalamata olives, and fresh spinach. Drizzle with tahini for a Mediterranean twist.
4. BBQ Extravaganza:
Slather your patty with barbecue sauce and stack it with vegan coleslaw, onion rings, and a touch of vegan cheddar cheese.
5. Spicy Sriracha Delight:
Top with sliced avocado, sprouts, and a drizzle of Sriracha mayo for a creamy and spicy kick.
6. Buffalo Bliss:
Coat your patty in buffalo sauce and serve with shredded lettuce, sliced celery, and vegan blue cheese dressing.
7. Caprese Creation:
Layer with sliced tomato, fresh basil leaves, and dairy-free mozzarella. Drizzle with balsamic reduction for a gourmet touch.
8. Asian Fusion Masterpiece:
Top with sautéed mushrooms, teriyaki sauce, sliced red pepper, and a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
9. Crunchy Slaw Sensation:
Layer on vegan coleslaw, sliced pickles, and crispy fried onions for a satisfying crunch.
10. Pesto Elegance:
Spread a layer of vegan pesto on your patty and top with roasted red peppers, arugula, and pine nuts.
11. Breakfast Burger Brilliance:
12. Greek Goddess:
Top with tzatziki sauce, sliced red onion, sliced cucumber, and fresh dill for a burst of Greek flavors.
13. Mushroom Mania:
Sautéed mushrooms and onions are the perfect companions. Add vegan Swiss cheese for a truly indulgent treat.
14. Tex-Mex Fiesta:
Layer on black bean and corn salsa, jalapeños, crushed tortilla chips, and a dollop of vegan sour cream.
15. Hawaiian Paradise:
Top with grilled pineapple slices, red onion, and vegan ham or bacon for a tropical twist.
16. Nutty Nirvana:
Spread almond or cashew butter on your patty, then add sliced apple and a sprinkle of cinnamon for a unique taste experience.
17. Caesar Salad Burger:
Top with romaine lettuce, vegan Caesar dressing, croutons, and vegan parmesan for a salad-inspired creation.
18. Curry Craze:
Mix mango chutney and curry powder, then top with shredded carrot, red onion, and fresh cilantro.
19. Avocado Overload
Layer on sliced avocado, alfalfa sprouts, cucumber, and a touch of lemon juice for a fresh and creamy combo.
20. The Everything Burger:
Why choose one? Pile on a little bit of everything – avocado, mushrooms, lettuce, tomato, onion, vegan cheese, and your favorite sauce!
The possibilities are endless when it comes to crafting mouthwatering burgers with your plant-based patties. Experiment with different combinations to create the burger of your dreams and indulge in the symphony of flavors with every bite.
How to store and reheat plant based burger patties
Storing and Reheating Your Plant-Based Burger Patties with Care
After crafting your delicious plant-based burger patties, you’ll want to ensure they stay fresh and flavorful until your next craving strikes. Here’s how to store and reheat them with the utmost care:
1. Cool Down: Allow your cooked burger patties to cool completely before storing. This prevents condensation buildup and keeps them from becoming soggy.
2. Wrap and Store: Individually wrap each patty in parchment paper or plastic wrap. This helps prevent them from sticking together and maintains their shape.
3. Airtight Container: Place the wrapped patties in an airtight container. This minimizes exposure to air, which can cause them to dry out or absorb odors from the fridge.
4. Label and Date: For meal-prep or freezer storage, label the container with the date to help you keep track of freshness.
5. Fridge or Freezer: Store in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. If freezing, consider using a double layer of wrapping for added protection.
1. From the Fridge:
– Stovetop: Place the patty in a non-stick pan over medium heat. Cover with a lid and cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side until heated through.
– Oven: Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Place the patty on a baking sheet and cover with aluminum foil to prevent drying. Heat for 10-12 minutes, flipping halfway.
– Microwave: Wrap the patty in a damp paper towel to prevent drying. Microwave on medium power for 1-2 minutes, checking at 30-second intervals.
2. From the Freezer:
– Oven: Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Place the frozen patty on a baking sheet and cover with foil. Bake for 15-20 minutes, flipping halfway through.
– Air Fryer: Preheat the air fryer to 375°F (190°C). Place the frozen patty in the air fryer basket and cook for 8-10 minutes, flipping halfway.
– Microwave: Defrost the patty in the microwave first, then follow the reheating methods for patties from the fridge.
3. Enjoy Fresh:
– For the best texture and flavor, consider reheating smaller portions of your burger at a time. Avoid reheating the entire batch if you don’t plan to consume them all.
– To prevent drying, you can brush the patty with a little oil or marinade before reheating.
– For a crispy exterior, consider using the oven or air fryer method for reheating.
– If you’re in a rush, the microwave method is the quickest option, but it may result in slightly softer texture.
Now you’re armed with the knowledge to store and reheat your plant-based burger patties, ensuring they remain as delicious as the day they were made. Enjoy your mouthwatering creations with ease, whether it’s a quick lunch or a satisfying dinner.
Beetroot vs beet
“Beet” and “beetroot” are terms often used interchangeably to refer to the same edible root vegetable. However, there is a slight difference in how these terms are used in various English-speaking regions.
Beetroot: This term is more commonly used in British English and is used to describe the entire root vegetable, including both the edible root and its leafy tops. The term “beetroot” is often used when referring to the vegetable in its whole form, whether raw, cooked, or pickled.
Beet: In American English, the term “beet” typically refers to the edible root of the plant. The term “beet greens” or “beet tops” is used to describe the leafy greens that grow above the ground. The root is commonly used in cooking, and it can be roasted, boiled, steamed, or even eaten raw.
In summary, while “beetroot” and “beet” may have subtle regional differences in how they are used, they both generally refer to the same root vegetable that is enjoyed for its earthy flavor and vibrant color.
Black beans vs kidney beans
Black Beans vs. Kidney Beans: Exploring the Differences
Both black beans and kidney beans are popular legumes that offer a variety of flavors and nutritional benefits. Let’s take a closer look at the differences between these two types of beans:
1. Appearance and Size:
– Black Beans: These beans are small and oval-shaped with a shiny, black skin. They have a creamy, white interior.
– Kidney Beans: Kidney beans are larger and kidney-shaped, hence their name. They come in various shades, including red, light red, and dark red.
2. Flavor and Texture:
– Black Beans: Black beans have a slightly sweet and earthy flavor. They have a dense, meaty texture that holds up well in dishes.
– Kidney Beans: Kidney beans have a mild and slightly nutty flavor. They are softer than black beans and can become creamy when cooked.
3. Nutritional Profile:
Both types of beans are excellent sources of plant-based protein, fiber, and essential nutrients. However, there are some slight differences in their nutritional content:
Black Beans (1 cup, cooked):
- Calories: Approximately 227
- Protein: About 15 grams
- Fiber: Around 15 grams
- Iron: Around 15% of the daily value (DV)
- Folate: Around 64% of the DV
Kidney Beans (1 cup, cooked):
- Calories: Approximately 225
- Protein: About 15 grams
- Fiber: Around 11 grams
- Iron: Around 20% of the DV
- Folate: Around 23% of the DV
4. Culinary Uses:
– Black Beans: Black beans are commonly used in Latin American and Caribbean cuisines. They’re great in dishes like black bean soup, rice and beans, salads, and burritos.
– Kidney Beans: Kidney beans are popular in various cuisines, including American, Indian, and Middle Eastern. They’re used in chili, stews, salads, and curries.
Both black beans and kidney beans are widely available in canned and dried forms at grocery stores.
6. Health Considerations:
Both beans offer health benefits, such as aiding digestion, promoting heart health, and supporting weight management due to their high fiber and protein content. However, if you’re concerned about specific health conditions, such as kidney disease, it’s recommended to consult a healthcare professional for dietary guidance.
In summary, both black beans and kidney beans are nutritious legumes with distinct flavors and textures. Choosing between them often depends on personal taste preferences and the specific dishes you plan to prepare. They can be used interchangeably in many recipes, so feel free to experiment and enjoy the variety they bring to your meals.
More delicious beetroot recipes
- Grilled Beetroot Garden Salad
- Glowing Skin Beetroot Crunch Salad
- Roasted Beetroot Hummus
- Crispy Smashed Beets with vegan pesto
- Grilled beetroot and zucchini pizza
How to Prep, clean, cut and boil beetroots
Preparing, Cleaning, Cutting, and Boiling Beetroots: A Step-by-Step Guide
Beetroots, also known as beets, are versatile root vegetables that can be enjoyed in various dishes. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to prep, clean, cut, and boil beetroots:
1. Choose Fresh Beetroots:
Select firm beetroots with smooth skin and no signs of wrinkling or soft spots. The greens should look vibrant and fresh if they’re still attached.
2. Wash and Scrub:
Rinse the beetroots thoroughly under cold running water to remove any dirt or debris. Use a vegetable brush to gently scrub the surface, especially if you’re leaving the skin on.
3. Trim the Greens (Optional):
If your beetroots have attached greens, you can choose to trim them off. However, beet greens are edible and nutritious, so you can save them for use in salads or cooking.
4. Peeling (Optional):
Peeling the skin is optional and often depends on personal preference and the recipe. To peel, use a vegetable peeler and remove the outer skin, revealing the vibrant flesh beneath.
Cut off the top and bottom of the beetroot to create flat surfaces. Depending on your recipe, you can cut the beetroots into slices, wedges, cubes, or leave them whole.
6. Boiling Beetroots:
Boiling beetroots is a common cooking method that retains their natural flavors and colors. Here’s how:
– Place the cut or whole beetroots in a pot and cover them with water.
– Add a pinch of salt to the water to enhance the flavor.
– Bring the water to a boil, then reduce the heat to a gentle simmer.
– Cook the beetroots for about 30 to 45 minutes, depending on their size and desired tenderness. Test for doneness by inserting a fork or knife into the beetroot; it should go in easily.
– Once cooked, drain the beetroots and let them cool slightly before handling.
7. Peeling Cooked Beetroots (Optional):
If you didn’t peel the beetroots before boiling, you can easily remove the skin after boiling. Once they’re cool enough to handle, the skin should slide off easily with your fingers or a knife.
8. Using Boiled Beetroots:
Boiled beetroots can be used in various dishes, such as salads, soups, stews, and side dishes. They can also be enjoyed on their own with a sprinkle of salt and a drizzle of olive oil.
Remember, beetroots can stain surfaces and hands, so wearing gloves while handling them can help prevent staining. This step-by-step guide should assist you in preparing, cleaning, cutting, and boiling beetroots to incorporate them into your culinary creations.
FAQs – all your plant based burger questions answered
Yes, you can! Wrap each patty individually in parchment paper or plastic wrap, place them in an airtight container, and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator before reheating.
Definitely! Canned beans, like black beans, can be a convenient and time-saving option. Just make sure to rinse and drain them thoroughly before using.
Absolutely! Recipes are a canvas for your creativity. Feel free to adjust seasonings, herbs, and spices to suit your personal preferences and create a burger that speaks to your taste buds.
Plant based burger recipe FAQs
Yes, you can! Air fryers are a fantastic way to achieve a crispy exterior while keeping the inside tender. Preheat the air fryer, spray the patties with a little oil, and cook at 375°F (190°C) for about 15-20 minutes, flipping halfway.
Adding binding agents like ground flaxseed, breadcrumbs, or oats can help hold the patties together. Additionally, chilling the mixture before shaping and cooking can improve the patty’s integrity.
Absolutely! While some vegetables may have more moisture than others, you can experiment with different options like grated zucchini, sweet potatoes, or bell peppers. Just be mindful of the moisture content and adjust the recipe accordingly.
Yes, you can prepare the patties in advance and store them in the fridge for a few days before cooking. You can also freeze uncooked patties for longer storage.
Meal prep, reheating and more
Opt for gluten-free rolled oats or breadcrumbs and ensure that all the other ingredients you use, including condiments and seasonings, are certified gluten-free.
Certainly! Reheating cooked patties in the air fryer at a lower temperature (around 350°F / 175°C) for a few minutes will help maintain their crispy texture.
Absolutely! Choose gluten-free rolled oats or breadcrumbs, and ensure that your tamari or soy sauce is gluten-free. This way, you can enjoy a delicious gluten-free version of the recipe.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave us a review below and let us know how it turned out 🙂
Best Plant-Based Burger Recipe
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 cups (300g) Beetroots Peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 can (15 oz / 425g) Black Beans Rinsed and drained
- 1 large Yellow Onion Diced
- 3 cloves Garlic Minced
- 2 tbsp Tamari or Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp Ground Flaxseed
- 2 cups (190g) Rolled oats Gluten-free if needed
- 2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 2 tsp Dried Thyme
- Pinch of dried Chili flakes optional
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Ground Black Pepper
Baking in the oven:
- Boil and Bliss: Start by boiling the peeled beet chunks until they’re tender, approximately 15 minutes. You’ll know they’re ready when a knife slips in smoothly. Once cooked, drain and let them cool.
- Oven Magic: While the beets cool, preheat your oven to a toasty 400°F (200°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, getting ready for the baking brilliance ahead.
- Sauté Symphony: In a pan, sizzle the olive oil and add the diced onions. Sprinkle in a melody of salt, pepper, thyme, paprika, and cumin. Craving more heat? Toss in chili flakes. Sauté this aromatic symphony for 2 minutes, then introduce the flaxseeds. Combine and remove from heat, transferring this flavorful chorus to your food processor.
- Blend and Bond: In the food processor, let the show go on! Combine the cooled beets, minced garlic, rolled oats, and tamari sauce. Blend until you’re met with a harmonious blend, pausing to scrape the sides as needed.
- Patty Perfect: With your vibrant mixture ready, it’s time to shape the spotlight-worthy patties. Place them on your prepared baking sheet and give them a gentle press to shape them into culinary masterpieces.
- Oven Ovation: Slide your baking sheet into the preheated oven and let the patties bake for 20 minutes. Give them a standing ovation, then flip them over for an encore, baking for an additional 10 minutes.
- Serving Symphony: As the aroma fills the air, it’s time for the grand finale! Serve these delectable patties in a burger adorned with your favorite toppings or let them shine on their own with a side of salad or your chosen side dish.
Baking in Air Fryer:
- Preheat the Air Fryer: Start by preheating your air fryer to 375°F (190°C) for a few minutes.
- Place the Patties: Arrange the vegan burger patties in a single layer in the air fryer basket. You can lightly brush or spray them with a small amount of oil for a crispy exterior, but this step is optional.
- Cooking Time: Cook the patties in the air fryer for about 8-10 minutes, flipping them halfway through. Check for your desired level of crispiness and doneness. Cooking times may vary depending on the thickness of the patties.
- Serve: Once they’re cooked to your liking, remove the patties from the air fryer, and let them rest for a minute before serving.
Frying in a Pan:
- Heat the Pan: Place a non-stick skillet or frying pan on the stove over medium heat. Add a small amount of cooking oil and let it heat up.
- Add the Patties: Carefully place the vegan burger patties into the hot pan, ensuring they are not overcrowded. Leave some space between them.
- Cooking Time: Cook the patties for approximately 3-4 minutes on each side. Flip them gently using a spatula when they’re browned and slightly crispy.
- Serve: Once both sides are nicely browned and the patties are heated through, remove them from the pan and place them on a paper towel to absorb any excess oil. Serve immediately.
- Preheat the Grill: Preheat your grill to medium-high heat. Ensure the grill grates are clean and lightly oiled to prevent sticking.
- Place the Patties: Carefully place the vegan burger patties on the grill grates. Close the grill lid.
- Cooking Time: Grill the patties for approximately 4-5 minutes on each side. You can grill longer for a smokier flavor or less for a softer texture.
- Serve: Once the grill marks are prominent, and the patties are heated through, remove them from the grill and serve immediately.
- – If you’re using canned beets, skip step one and dive straight into the sauté step.
- – Looking to prepare ahead? These patties embrace the freezer, ready to be your meal-prep heroes.
- From the oven’s warm embrace to the sizzle of the stovetop, these beetroot patties adapt beautifully to different cooking methods, ensuring you have the perfect bite every time. As you explore each variation, you’re crafting a symphony of tastes that resonate with your culinary desires. Whichever culinary act you choose, these beetroot patties are your ticket to a memorable and delicious plant-based experience. Your taste buds are in for a treat!
Recipe originally published August 1, 2021
Recipe updated September 10, 2023