Get ready for a mind-blowing creamy pesto pasta featuring tender, almost melty sautéed eggplant, spring onions, and herbs. It’s a no-hassle utterly tasty creamy pasta sauce that takes minutes to make.Jump to Recipe
This Simple 5-ingredients vegan Creamy Pesto Eggplant Pasta Recipe is delightfully simple and quick to make. Think savory pesto sauce clinging to tender chewy pasta with a hint of spicy pepper and lots of herbs. It’s a super simple and incredibly tasty vegan pasta.
5 great things about this amazing easy 5 ingredients vegan pesto eggplant pasta recipe
- Loaded with herby flavors
- Delicious and simple
- Easy to make
- Can be gluten-free
This aubergine pasta recipe is proof that deliciousness doesn’t have to be complicated.
Big flavors lazy vegan pasta hack
This recipe packs a LOT of flavor into a single bowl thanks to the secret ingredient; green pesto. You can make your green pesto, or you can get a ready-made vegan green pesto at the grocery store.
Personally, I always have green pesto in my refrigerator. Sometimes it’s homemade. Sometimes it’s store-bought. Either way, I use what I have, because it saves time and shaves 5 minutes off the cooking time.
How to make homemade vegan pesto
Vegan green pesto Ingredients
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 cup baby arugula salad
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts or any other type of nuts
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeds removed
Add all the pesto ingredients to a blender and blend until the pesto is smooth. Add 1-2 tablespoons extra oil if the pesto is too thick. Scrape the pesto into an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator.
Frequently asked questions
How can I add more plant-based protein?
Adding chickpeas or beans such as cannellini or black beans adds a lot of plant-based protein, plus extra nutrients and vitamins.
Can I make pasta gluten-free?
Yes, absolutely. You can replace regular pasta with lentil pasta, rice pasta, or any type of gluten-free pasta substitute.
Can I make this pasta in advance?
Sure. It can be made the day before and reheated in the oven. Just cover with tin foil and add a bit of water to the pasta so it doesn’t dry out. You can also freeze and reheat the pasta water. Just note that the pasta itself won’t taste quite the same. Most likely the pasta will become a little crispy and the pesto flavor will intensify.
Lazy 5 ingredients vegan creamy pesto eggplant pasta recipe
- 8 ounces Pasta Screws, penne, or Farfalle
- ½ cup Green Pesto Vegan, see recipe below
- 2 Eggplants Cut into slices
- 3 Spring Onions Cut into slices
- 3 cloves Garlic Minced
- 1 tsp Sea salt or Kosher Salt
- Pinch of Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 bunch Fresh Basil Chopped
- 1 bunch Fresh Basil
- ½ cup Olive Oil
- 1 cup Baby Arugula Salad
- 4 cloves Garlic Minced
- ¼ cup Toasted Pine Nuts or your preferred type of nuts
- 1 Jalapeño pepper Seeds removed
- Add all the pesto ingredients to a blender and blend until the pesto is smooth. Add 1-2 tablespoons extra oil if the pesto is too thick. Scrape the pesto into an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator.
Pesto Eggplant Pasta
- Heat a large pan and add the sliced eggplant. Grill the eggplants at high heat while stirring occasionally. Season with salt, red pepper, and add the spring onions and minced garlic.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the pasta as per the package instructions.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain away from the water and add the pesto to the pasta. Toss until the pasta is coated in pesto. Pour the pasta onto a serving plate and top with the sautéed eggplants and chopped basil.Serve and enjoy.
Are you looking for more easy vegan pasta recipes? Try some of my fan favourites, like: