This easy vegan Garden salad with lentils and mushrooms is a clean eating bowl of deliciousness. Loaded with succulent grilled mushrooms, soft buttery onions, herbs, and spicy grilled peppers. It’s a super tasty, super quick warm salad that can be served as a main or side dish.Jump to Recipe
There’s salad and then there’s this Luxe Easy Vegan Garden salad with Lentils, Mushrooms, and Peppers recipe. When I say this easy rainbow lentil salad is everything I really mean EVERYTHING. It’s quite possibly one of the best warm salads ever. Made with humble ingredients, this luxe salad can be served hot or cold and works both as a main and side dish. There’s nothing it can’t do.
The ingredients for this easy vegan Rainbow Lentils, Mushrooms, and peppers salad are humble and low-key but make a super tasty and nutritious meal. We are working with:
- Portobello mushrooms
- Red onions
- Peppers – preferably mixed
- Fresh herbs
That’s it. Throw in some olive oil, and freshly ground pepper and you’re ready to cook up a bowl of deliciousness in no time.
The best warm Garden salad with lentils and mushrooms
This salad has everything you could ever want in a salad. Crispy spicy grilled peppers, meaty juicy grilled mushrooms, tender lentils wrapped in smoky flavors, and fresh delicious herbs. It’s a meal that can be served just as is, as a healthy clean lunch or dinner salad.
Reasons why you need to make this SOS garden salad with lentils a permanent part of your SOS recipes:
- It’s loaded with delicious flavors and textures. From meaty juicy mushrooms to tender lentils. It’s an instant mood-boosting recipe.
- Easy to make – there’s minimal fuss, minimal chopping, and maximum deliciousness. Basically, everything is made in a grill pan, making it a super simple satisfying meal.
- A healthy dinner or lunch loaded with plant-based protein, lots of healthy nutrients, and delicious flavors.
- Meal prep friendly – this salad can be made in advance, because it keeps really well in the refrigerator. Make it the day before, freeze it for later and reheat when needed, or eat right away. The choice is yours.
- A super customizable recipe – add any extra veggies you have lying around. For example, you could add zucchini, tomatoes, carrots, or sweet potatoes. Anything goes so don’t be afraid to make it your own.
- Let’s dive into the facts of this tasty mushroom side dish.
How to make lentil mushroom salad:
- Step 1. Heat olive oil in a grill pan and add the diced onions and chopped mushrooms. Season with salt, pepper, and smoked paprika and cook for 5 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Step 2. Next, add the garlic, peppers, lentils, and all the rest of the seasoning and mix everything. Let it cook for a few more minutes to just soften the peppers.
- Step 3. Once the vegetables are cooked to your satisfaction, garnish with fresh basil and serve.
Luxe Chopped Rainbow Lentil salad
This colorful salad is a feast for the eyes and the palette. You can serve it as a chopped raw rainbow salad or make it a bright lentil rainbow salad loaded with smoky flavors and garden favorites. Add all your favorite vegetables from the grocery store, or go shopping and chopping in your own garden…because let’s face it, there’s nothing quite like fresh homegrown produce.
I still have to hit the produce aisle at the grocery store but a girl can always dream, right?
Looking for a Raw Mushroom salad? I’ve got you covered
You can easily turn this tasty mushroom salad into a raw salad with a few easy tweaks for maximum flavor. For a raw mushrooms salad, I like to marinate the mushrooms in my easy vegan marinade. All you need to make marinated mushrooms are:
- Mushrooms of your choice (can be portobello mushrooms or king oyster mushrooms)
- Juice from 1/2-1 lemon
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar or regular vinegar
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Half teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
How to make easy marinated mushrooms
Step 1. Mix all the ingredients for the marinade together in a bowl.
Step 2. Place the chopped or sliced mushrooms on a large plate or in a bowl and pour the marinade on top.
Step 3. Toss to coat the mushrooms in the marinade and cover with plastic wrap or similar. Leave the marinate for at least 30 minutes, up to 3 hours.
Step 4. Once the mushrooms have marinated, add them to your chopped garden salad and enjoy.
Frequently Asked Questions
This easy salad will keep for 3-4 days in a sealed container in the refrigerator. I like to reheat the salad in a microwave after 2 days in the fridge, to make it come back to life.
Absolutely. If you have frozen vegetables you can just toss them on the grill pan along with the fresh ingredients. The main thing to notice is that the frozen vegetables will take a little longer to cook. To make sure any fresh ingredients don’t overcook simply wait and add the fresh vegetables once the frozen ones are nearly done.
Lentil is a good source of plant-based protein. It’s a nutrient-rich, protein-packed, iron-rich ingredient. In fact, lentils contain 48% more iron than beef and are a great source of fiber.
There are 9 grams of protein in 100 grams of lentils.
Yes. The taste and texture are the same as well as the nutrients. The great thing about using canned lentils is that you are sure it’s always the best quality lentils that are cooked to tender perfection. Plus, using canned lentils cuts way down on your cooking time. And another great thing about canned lentils is that they are always ready to use right away if you keep your pantry stocked full of them.
You can use button mushrooms, crimini mushrooms, shiitake mushrooms, or any other type you would like. Every type of mushroom will add something different to the salad, but it will still give the dish a delicious, juicy, and meaty texture.
Easy Vegan Garden Salad with Lentils, Mushrooms, and Peppers
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 15oz can Lentil Rinsed and drained
- 20 oz Portabella Mushrooms Chopped
- 2 Bell Peppers Diced
- 2 Red Onions Sliced
- 3 cloves Garlic Finely chopped or minced
- Juice from ½ Lemon or 1 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Smoked Paprika
- 2 tsp Dried Thyme
- ½ tsp Sea salt or Kosher Salt More to taste
- ½ tsp Ground Black Pepper More to taste
- 2-4 tbsp Sweet Chili Sauce
- 1 big handful Fresh Basil Leaves Chopped
- Heat olive oil in a grill pan and add the diced onions and chopped mushrooms. Season with salt, pepper, and smoked paprika and cook for 5 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Next, add the garlic, peppers, lentils, and all the rest of the seasoning and mix everything. Let it cook for a few more minutes to just soften the peppers.
- Once the vegetables are cooked to your satisfaction, garnish with fresh basil and serve.Enjoy.